Wednesday, November 19, 2014

#20 - Makeovers

As I mentioned previously, I was finally able to cross item #20 off my "20 in 14" list when I visited the Mall of America in Minnesota.

All along, I'd been kind of nervous about walking into a random store and asking a lady at the make-up counter to teach me the proper techniques for applying makeup.  About three-quarters of the way through the year, I finally decided I was going to have to just step out of my comfort zone and make it happen.  In the back of my head, I told myself it would be a teensy bit less awkward if I could get a friend to tag along.  Dawn and Christy were willing to be my buddy if the opportunity presented itself, but it just didn't work out until that second visit to the MOA with Jessie.  Thank goodness for wing-girls!

Jessie and I both got make-overs that day, and boy did we look FAB-ulous!  Of course, Jessie has naturally beautiful skin, so it wouldn't have mattered for her.  :)  I wish we had gotten a picture together, but she was on camera-duty, capturing the moments for this here blog.


Anyway, the ladies from Bare Minerals who did our make-up were very gentle and make the entire process comfortable and enjoyable.  They asked us about our typical skin-care routine and what textures/tones we preferred.  They were also very good about explaining every step of the process, and answering questions about how the products and techniques could be used with items in our existing collections.  


Afterwards, I didn't feel obligated to buy every product on the shelf, but I wanted to.  Yes, I loved the experience that much!!  In the end, I did spend more than I would have liked, but I really only bought the very basics and got a list of everything else with plans to pass it along to dear old Santa Claus. ;)  


A few things I learned along the way - 
- Apply concealer after foundation - What?!  Yes, it's like magic how different concealer works after the base than before it.  
- Use a brush for everything.  I want a whole collection of brushes now, when previously I only used a brush for blush.  Also, those little indented brushes are A-MAZING.  Get yourself one...now!
- Make-up can "work" and look natural all at the same time.  I can look pretty in makeup...with the right tools and techniques, the results are incredible.
- Setting goals and following through with them can be rewarding...cheesy, but seriously...I never would have done this if I hadn't make that list and actually committed to following through with it.  The year is almost over and I hope to start filling in some of those blanks on the list with updates in the near future.

#20 - Receive a makeup tutorial.  (10/28/14 - check!)

What will be next?
-Lauren

1 comment:

Christy said...

Pretty! This is still something I want to do at some point in my life.