"What are you doing this summer?"
"When do you finish school?"
"Where are you interning/When are you going to find out...?"
For this reason, I've created a blog that I hope to update regularly over the summer and throughout my internship process. Please feel free to check back regularly to keep up with where life takes me. Leave comments/messages; I want to hear from everyone. :)
So, here goes.
Question 1: What are you doing this summer?
- May 9-31st...School will be over; I plan to divide my time between home and Thibodaux, realxing and enjoying my final days with The Beham crew. I may also visit a few friends in various parts of the state, time permitting. Phone interviews for internships and a special visit from my world-traveled Ohioan friend will occupy my time, as well as preparations for the rest of the summer.
- June 1-27...Allie (co-worker & friend from CBC) and I will be working at C.A. a special needs camp in Little Rock, Arkansas. We're both eagerly looking forward to this new and exciting experience.
- June 30-July 4...Potentially serving as an adult leader at 4-H Camp in Pollock, LA.
- July 5-13...The week is free, at this point. However, I'd love to travel (to say, Ohio, or Idaho?), instead. Perhaps I'll travel to check out housing near my internship site...
- July 14-19, 21-Aug 1...Heart Camp (CBC) staff training and camp session. <-- best="" ever.="" li="" place="">-->
- Aug 2-Unknown at this time...prepare for, pack, and move away for my Fall internship!
The Spring 2008 semester for Nicholls officially finished on May 9 (although I finished my work about a week before that). Technically, I graduate on December 13, 2008, but I am officially finished with my on-campus coursework (!). All I have left is to do my 480-hour internship in the Fall, and then I'm d-o-n-e (1 semester early, I might add).
Question 3: Where are you interning/When are you going to find out?
My goal is to intern with an established Child Life Program (mainly located in children's hospitals). In order to secure a position with such a program, one must complete an extensive application process which often includes phone or on-site interviews.
As it stands, I have applied to 10 internship sites (hospitals) in 7 different states. Each site has contacted me to say that my application has been received, and I am currently waiting for offers for phone interviews. So far, I have scheduled two phone interviews--Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock (5-13 @ 1 p.m. CST) and Inova Fairfax Children's Hospital in Falls Church, VA (5-20 @ 10 a.m. CST).
To prepare for the internship interviews and position, I have read a textbook that child life education programs use, as well as spoken with a Certified Child Life Specialist, and discussed the process with a good friend of mine who happens to be a child life student (I heart you, Sunshine!). Hopefully it all works out positively...Wish me luck; I'm nervous about tomorrow's interview!
Alrighty, there it is. I'll try to keep regular updates with this blog so that you can all have an idea of how my summer and internship selection process is going.
Best wishes to all,