All morning I studied and prepared for this interview. I made notes from the child life text, placed post-it tabs on the text and activity book, organized notes on child development from my parenting class, and reviewed suggestions from a Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS). I was bound and determined to be as prepared as possible for my first interview...and for the most part, I was.
The interview went well; the ladies were nice, and I feel like I did a decent job of answering their questions. It lasted 45 minutes, and by the time I was finished telling my mom and Dawn about how it went, my voice was just plain tired. I directed all other inquiries to this post...hehe.
For all those curious minds out there, here's what they asked (in no particular order):
- Why do I want an internship with ACH?
- Tell about my practicum (field work) experience.
- Tell about paid experience working with children.
- Discuss an instance working with children when I would have done something differently.
- Tell about a time when I received negative feedback during my practicum experience.
- Discuss a time when I worked as part of a team.
- Give an example of a time when I had to be flexible and how I handled it.
- What are my goals for a Child Life Internship?
- What is my philosophy for working with children?
- Describe family-centered care.
- What are the strengths of my (FACS) curriculum?
- Since I'm not a member of the Child Life Council, what do I know about benefits of membership, and trends in the field of Child Life?
- Describe my experience with death and how I handled it.
- If you were in a hospital elevator and someone inquired about "Child Life" on your name tag, what would you tell them?
On another exciting note, my cell phone was out of service all day (as is typical when I'm at home), but when I finished the interview, I received two voice mail messages--both from potential internship sites! Upon listening to the messages, I am excited to say that two more sites were interested in offering me an interview! Yayyy.
So to update my interview schedule:
- Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock, AR (5-13 @ 1 p.m.) - Done.
- St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise, ID (5-15 @ 3 p.m.)
- Driscoll Children's Hospital in Corpus Christi, TX (5-15 @ 4 p.m.)
- Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children in Falls Church, VA (5-20 @ 10 a.m.)
- Georgetown Pediatrics in Washington, D.C.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital
- Nationwide Children's Hosptital in Columbus, OH
- Our Lady of the Lake Children's Hospital in Baton Rouge, LA
- Methodist Children's Hospital in San Antonio, TX
That's all folks!