I'd say today's 10 a.m. (CST) interview with Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children in Falls Church, VA, went pretty well. The ladies were nice, and I feel like I did well with their questions. Unfortunately, this was really just a preliminary interview, as the hospital has a policy about requiring on-site interviews for internships. However, I did inform the committee that I will not be available for an on-site interview, since I'll be leaving for camp in Arkansas in just over a week. They said they may consider doing a more extensive phone interview if necessary, but I guess it really just depends on if I impressed them enough the first time around. Also, the hospital seems to be flexible about dates based on students' schedules, so yay. Check, check.
- Tell us about your interest in Child Life.
- Talk about your experiences at camp/in the hospital; give ages of children and your responsibilities.
- In your hospital experiences, did you get to speak with a specialist about preparing children, or about any medical conditions?
- How would you establish rapport (a relationship) with a 2-year-old versus a 13-year-old?
- In describing what Child Life Specialists do, how would you explain your role to parents of a 2-year-old, versus parents of a 13-year-old?
- What are your goals for an internship?
- How do you handle stress?
I don't really have time for an on-site interview. Benjamin will be here until Tuesday (5-27) of next week, and then I will be leaving on Saturday (5-31) for Arkansas. In between this time, I need to be at home Wednesday through Friday to pack and do other things in preparation for leaving for a month. Of course, I could fly up to Ohio with Benjamin when he leaves, stay for literally one day, and come home to get ready for camp. ...But spend $300 for one day? I mean really, that's almost not worth it. Or, I could wait, and fly up to Ohio from Arkansas one weekend; again, a very short trip, with an equally expensive dent in my bank account.
Gah. What to dooooooooo?
I'll keep ya updated...
Interview Schedule, to date:
- Arkansas Children's Hospital (5-13) - Done.
- St. Luke's Children's Hospital (5-15) - Done.
- Driscoll Children's Hospital (5-15) - Done.
- Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children (5-20) - Done.
- Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, OH - Pending.