Friday, February 20, 2015

7 Quick Takes (Vol. 10)

Today I'm linking up for the first time with our new host of 7 Quick Takes, Kelly at This Ain't the Lyceum!


Baseball Weekend #1 was a looooooooooong one.  I think my rear end was actually sore from sitting on a hard chair for such a long period of time.  My scoreboard skills were definitely rusty in the first game, but things got a little better by game #5 for the weekend.  And of course, my cupcakes were "the talk of the town," as they say.  I'm thinking it's much more reasonable to plan on one batch of sweets for the weekend, rather than something new every game...it is Lent, after all.  ;)


Early this week I was supposed to travel to south Louisiana for the State Livestock Show (for work).  However, I was realllllllllllly dreading the trip because the university Alex works for was closed for Mardi Gras and I really thought it was super unfair that he would get days off at home while I had to go freeze my butt off at the smelly old barn.  The weather also called for some pretty sketchy wintery stuff, that may or may not have included snow at some point.  Needless to say, I was pretty thrilled when the lady I planned to carpool with decided we shouldn't chance it and we cancelled our plans.  Then, since I had already planned to be out of the office on Monday and Tuesday, I decided to just take the days off instead...so Alex and I actually got to spend an unexpected "weekend" at home together.  Three cheers...amen!

It's the best we can do in north Louisiana. 
The Carnival season is over, Mardi Gras has passed, and Lent is here.  I have to give mad props to my friend Jen for this post on why Louisiana is awesome...in particular, at this time of the year.  And if you haven't read Jen's story yet, take a few minutes to check it out.  She and I were college roommates (we actually shared a room, not just living space...though we did that too at some point) and we have followed along with each other's blogging journeys since the very beginning.


Speaking of Lent, I'm not all about public posts regarding voluntary sacrifices, BUT I am doing something that may be worth noting for the sake of others who read this blog.  What I mean to say is that I have decided to give up Facebook, indefinitely.  Alex has already deactivated his account, and I may do the same eventually.  At this point, I still need access to the page for various reasons, but I am being diligent about only signing on with a purpose in mind, and signing out as soon as possible.  What this means for you, readers, is that your best way to contact me is via e-mail.  As for my reasons and such, I'm not ready to talk about that here on the blog just yet, so that's all I have to say about that. Oh, and this related link could also be worthy of reading.  (Granted I have a public blog, but you get the idea.)

Courtesy of Kendra
And in the interest of sharing (what I think is) another interesting idea for voluntary Lenten sacrifices, Alex and I plan to borrow Rosie's paper chain concept.  Back when I wrote my 20 in 14 list, I really wanted to do a better job of praying more intentionally, for specific people and things.  As you'll see when I (finally) address that item on the list, I never got into the habit even though I really wanted to.  SO, this Lent we will be adding specific intentions to our daily prayers, and this paper chain will be the tangible indicator of how well we're doing.  Can't wait to see how it goes!


P.S. I had every intention of sharing a post with actual content on Wednesday, but then I realized it was Ash Wednesday and figured we were better left reverently absent (can that be a thing?) than sharing about light-hearted, fun things.  :)  Coming soon though...lots of fun new stuff (including MY 200th POST!!).  I may or may not have 3-4 posts/week planned through the end of March.  Now, who's going to take bets on whether it actually happens?!

It's looking to be a gross weekend.  From Friday to Saturday, the temperature will climb 13 degrees, then drop 25 on Sunday, and finish off (if you call it that) with a high at the ripe ole 28 degree mark.  Once again, they're even talking about the possibility of icy, sticky, white stuff...maybe.  I definitely wouldn't bet on too much excitement - we do live in Louisiana, after all.

Whiplash, anyone?

Stay warm, ya'll!
-Lauren

For more Quick Takes, visit This Ain't the Lyceum!

2 comments:

Jen @ Into Your Will said...

Heyyyy thanks for the shout out! :)

I gave up FB too, and I'm soooo glad you mentioned it and the fact that it's indefinitely...because I've been considering the same thing. Pretty sure it's for different reasons, but it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Loved all your takes!

Rosie said...

Um, that ice cream looks AMAZING. I had every intention of baking a real king cake but by the time 4 o'clock rolled around and I still hadn't gotten the dough together, I asked my husband to grab cinnamon rolls on the way home and winged it ;)